Support for Blind People

Hi,

Rabbit r1 is already pretty awesome. I would love to contribute to its improvement. I work professionally with blind people every day. For this target group and customer base, r1 would be just perfect, especially because of its ease of use and image description. It would also be great for older people without smartphones, of whom there are many. However, r1 is unfortunately not accessible - but this could perhaps be easily added: acoustic support would be necessary. Maybe very short sounds when turning on and off, so the blind user knows what state the device is currently in. It would also be important that all highlights in the menu are spoken when navigating to a subtopic with the scroll wheel, including the numbers for PIN entry. This could be an optional mode under “Sound FX” that can be deactivated. Then users who are disturbed by it can turn it off, and blind users would have it activated out of the box and can use r1 without external help.

I hope I could contribute something.

Best regards,

11 Likes

Great accessibility suggestion.

+1

1 Like

I think this is a really great idea. To be honest, I had already thought about this idea, but I didn’t yet have all the pieces of the puzzle together to make a sensible suggestion out of it, but I think it’s a really great idea. Because no one, and especially not disabled people, should be excluded from using such a great device as r1. So I really hope that this suggestion from @Schlex actually becomes a reality one day (better as soon as possible).

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for this thread and Schlex suggestions, I’m visualy impaired and also thinking about R1 functions to help blind and visualy impaired people. A accessibility option could be add in the setup menu, like Schlex suggest we need:

**Make a interface accessible for blind**
  • A accessibility option for blind/visualy impaired in the setup menu

• A voice activation of the accessibility option (Ex: Rabbit activate accessibility)

• Be able to activate separatly each option in accessibility menu

• Vocal message for R1 on/off (after accessibility was enabled)

• Rabbit eye on/off (or open/closed)

• Say setup menu after shake to confirm tou are in setup pages

• Vocal description of the setup menu selected and current option ( note: the brightness/sound ans time can be set by voice request :smiley: )

• Vocalised Keyboard

• Message for low battery and network lost

• Answer to “what is the battery level”

• Vocal turn the R1 off, this function is nearly all done, you can access power off menu by asking"Rabbit power off the Rabbit" or “Rabbit go to setting and power off” but by defaut (back to) Setting is selected, if you can put “Hold to confirm” by default and a voice message “hold to confirm” and “powering off now” it will be just perfect :smiley: (can also be done by pressing 8x PTT , can be used if other options doesnt work )

• Add a FX sound when calculation is longer than 3 seconds

• Add a voice message when there is a OTA saying something like: “A OTA is needed, please plug the charger to allow update” , tell whats new with the OTA and the state of the update 'downloading, updating, verifying, rebooting now"

**Useful functions for blind**

• A link in the Rabbit hole to audio book library accounts like Audible and be able to play/listen a audio book with R1

• Text to voice reading

• Find a object with R1, do you see this object/if yes where is it

Hope it will help for starting accessibility, I’m sure there’s more option/function to add
Best regards

4 Likes

This might be very helpful for you. @rabbit

1 Like

This might also be interesting for you?

What also would be helpful is a sound played while calculating, if it takes longer. I had yesterday a situation with a blind person speaking a foreign language. i tried the translation mode, but it leads into misunderstanding the process, because while calculating the text the device is silent.

Acoustic effects will help here. Hope that the developers find the time to lay an eye on. :wink:

1 Like

I added the calculation sound to the list in my message, also added answer to the question "what is the battery level’. Idealy the LAM should have action on his setup to change options with voice, thd connexion setup is the hard part for blind and if I can setup the R1 like this:

• user: Rabbit turn the bluetooth on and give me the available devices
  • R1: Bluetooth is activated, the devices are (lis of device)
  • user: pair with device named xxx
  • R1: now paired with xxx
    Same for the wifi but after R1 listed the access point:
  • user: connect to the xxx access point
  • R1: connecting to xxx access point, please spell the password or use the keyboard
  • user: XZ34D2
  • R1: Now connected to xxx access point

Non impaired people may like that :grin: :grinning:

1 Like

I already had some ideas that were aimed in a similar direction and would be very helpful, especially for disabled people.

As a son of an aged (91), now blind mother, the ability to request and play an Audio book from her local library would be a god send. I currently do this with an Android Tablet, Anydesk and her library account to download and play for 30min’s on her behalf. r1 to the rescue?

1 Like

Yes as R1 is able to play music on Spotify and apple music, a link with some account of audio books library like Audible will be nice

2 Likes

If the r1 could help the elderly to experience and enjoy life more in their twilight years, we should all embrace this and help in it’s development. We are all getting older, what would you want?

1 Like

And not only the elderly have benefit from audio-reading-out-loud-the-menuitems: me myself really like to use the r1 without looking on the screen,with closed eyes.Easier for everybody.

1 Like

I notice (and tested) that screen brightness/sound and time parameter can be set by voice request :grinning: , I split thz list of request on my first post in 2 parts: Rabbit accessibility and useful function for blind, also added text to voice, reading audio books and do you see this object/where is that object.

1 Like

Look here please!

Please read, thank you!

I agree that voice interaction should be the first option to use the Rabbit, but the the PTT “morse code” can be a option too if other solutions doesnt work.
I noticed that vocal power off function is 99% done just add a default option to change and a 2 vocal messages to add and it will be perfect :slightly_smiling_face:

I notice that there is no vocal warning when there is a OTA at startup, someone blind may be stuck thinking the R1 didnt started properly, so I add in the list "Add a voice message when there is a OTA saying something like: “A OTA is needed, please plug the charger to allow automatic update” ".
A vocal announce for update steps may be cool :slightly_smiling_face: “downloading update” “Upgrading” “Verifying update” “Update complete, rebooting”

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I’ve thought about that too. Everything on the screen should be read aloud, including the update announcement, a signal when it’s finished, and a summary of what’s new. A spoken introduction to the operation would surely also be helpful, perhaps accessible as text under ‘Sound Effects,’ or there could be a dedicated section for the blind where they can enable and disable features. But one step at a time… Thanks to the programmers for listening :slight_smile: