rabbitOS release notes

this is a living document, and this post will always show the most recent software update at the top. previous ones can be found below with expandable details.

Generally, we release cloud-based updates and over-the-air (OTA) updates on alternating weeks. Cloud based updates do not require anything to be done on the device.

17th September 2024:

we have a (very) small OTA release for you today. this will be installed automatically when your r1 is connected to wifi and a power source.

today’s update is just two things:

• we discovered and fixed a bug that could have caused errors for users in some countries. The impact we’ve seen so far is minimal and we will keep monitoring after today’s quick fix so it doesn’t become a problem. we find bugs, we squash them. you know how it works.
  • we have made some further preparations for the upcoming alpha program for teach mode

enjoy, and please keep sharing your feedback and thoughts!

Previous software updates:

12th September 2024:

Summary

the latest ota (over-the-air) update for your r1 is now live, and will automatically be downloaded to your device when connected to wifi and a power source. :musicrabbit:

as we ramp up towards bigger projects, we have a quality of experience improvement for you today.

what’s new? :listeningrabbit:

you can now conveniently access settings from the home screen with a brand new double-scroll gesture. Of all the helpful feedback we’ve gotten from our users, this is one of the most common things that kept coming up, so we knew it was important to address it.

• scroll the wheel up twice from the home screen to access the settings menu, without the need to shake your r1
  • now you’ll be much less likely to accidentally open the settings menu while using r1
  • you can still see the familiar interface for different activities running, like music streaming, with a scroll down from the home screen.

3rd September 2024:

Summary

here’s the latest update for your r1 device. :listeningrabbit:
in this update, we’ve squashed some pesky bugs and made some improvements to the user experience. we’ve also made some structural changes to better support upcoming feature releases.

this is a combined cloud update and OTA (over-the-air) update which will be automatically downloaded and installed on your device when connected to wifi and a power source. :weatherrabbit:

what’s new? :new:

• beta rabbit’s coming of age
    • you don’t need to say ‘beta rabbit’ to get thoughtful responses to complex questions that require multiple steps of research and deeper reasoning
    • we are integrating all the features from beta rabbit into the default experience – it will be a step-by-step process, but it will be well worth it!
  • r1 now starts listening as soon as you press and hold the PTT button from sleep mode, without requiring a single press to wake first
  • text to speech has been modified so audio output and text captions are aligned
  • vision UI updates to make cards appear faster
  • smart timer/alarm minor bug fixes for edge cases

15th August 2024:

Summary

beta rabbit can now help you get to where you want to go :compass:, and scroll wheel sensitivity has been upgraded. check it all out in the latest cloud + over-the-air (OTA) software update for r1 :musicrabbit:

• new beta rabbit capabilities (since beta rabbit is still in beta, some features may work better in some countries)
    • beta rabbit can now give you directions for going to places and help with timing, navigation prompts with different travel modes, including distance from A to B, planned routes, estimated travel times and cost of public transportation
    • ask beta rabbit to help you explore places around you – business hours of a museum, recommendations for food, nearby libraries and more
  • scroll wheel sensitivity has been fine-tuned to feel more natural and responsive

try these: :weatherrabbit:
“beta rabbit, what’s the closest McDonalds to me and how do I get there?”
“beta rabbit, how long does it take to drive from Manhattan to Brooklyn if i leave at 6pm today?”
“how much longer does public transportation take compared to driving? How much would public transportation cost?
“beta rabbit, how far away is Universal Studios from Venice Beach by car?”
“beta rabbit, i have a yoga class at 7pm at Mighty Pilates in Westwood Village. i also need to pick up something at CVS. if i leave at 6pm from [my address], would i make it in time for the class? which CVS should i go to? i’ll be driving.”

8th August 2024:

Summary

smart timers and alarms are here! :alarm_clock:
check out those new features and other improvements for r1 in the latest over-the-air (OTA) software update.

what’s new in the update :listeningrabbit:

• the new smart timer sets the time for you based on the context of your prompt; press PTT and tell r1 to start, pause, resume, cancel/delete requests or ask how much time is left
  • ask r1 to set alarms for specific days/times that repeat daily or weekly. you can view all your saved alarms and manually set/cancel/update existing alarms, or snooze for 9 minutes
  • we’ve expanded Wi-Fi compatibility to include PEAP and hidden network sign-in support
  • we’ve improved battery performance by squashing more bugs
  • we’ve replaced the 60s PTT to shutdown to allow for longer queries. you can now shutdown r1 by pressing the PTT button 8x, or use the settings menu.

try these :musicrabbit:

“set a timer for baking chocolate chip cookies”
“set a timer for a power nap”
“how much time is left on my timer?”
“set an alarm for 8 am every tuesday and thursday”
“show me all my alarms”

1st August 2024:

Summary

here’s the latest software update for r1, which is cloud-based, so there’s no need to update your device. :listeningrabbit:

what’s new? :musicrabbit:

• beta rabbit now supports vision!
    • double tap the PTT button to enter vision mode
    • while holding down PTT, ask beta rabbit questions about what it’s looking at
    • when you’re finished with your question, let go of PTT to snap the photo
    • if beta rabbit asks a clarification question, press PTT to answer, and get ready to take another photo when you release PTT to continue the conversation
  • follow-up questions from beta rabbit are now together in a single journal entry in rabbithole
  • if beta rabbit takes a while to answer complex questions like image searches or calculations, r1 will keep you updated to let you know that it’s still thinking

beta rabbit is still a beta feature so it might not work perfectly every time, but give some of these a try: :weatherrabbit:

• point at a painting or the picture of a painting and ask, “beta rabbit, what style is this painting? can you show me some more artwork in this genre? where can I find them in museums close to me?"
  • point at the cool phone case your friend has and ask, “where can I get this type of phone case?”
    • go to rabbithole and check out the links to recommended online stores
  • point at the nutrition chart of a Japanese snack or any snack in a foreign language and ask, “beta rabbit, what are the nutritional facts for this snack? is it healthy?”
  • point at a toy and ask, “beta rabbit, this is one of my nephew’s favorite toys. can you recommend some similar gift options that you think he would probably also like for less than $20?”
  • point at a movie poster and ask, “beta rabbit, what is this movie about? is it good? where can I watch it?”
  • point at a dish you are not familiar with and ask, “beta rabbit, how do you make something like this?”

18th July 2024:

Summary

here’s the latest software update for r1. this is a cloud-based update, so you’ll automatically benefit from these improvements without needing to update your device. :listeningrabbit:

• beta rabbit enhancements

• ask beta rabbit to provide images as part of your search results and images will be embedded in the long form response
    • ask beta rabbit about calculation and mathematics based questions to get more accurate results utilizing Wolfram
    • since beta rabbit now gives you more comprehensive answers, try saving specific details from those conversations in rabbithole as notes (ask for book recommendations > save one of them as a note)
    • you can now ask beta rabbit to include related URLs on rabbithole
  • magic camera now has a cousin - magic camera freestyle :magic_wand:

• get stylized interpretations of your pictures in rabbithole with your own style prompts
    • to make sure magic camera freestyle captures your full prompt, 1) press the ptt button and speak into the microphone at the top of the device, 2) keep holding the ptt button and set up your shot, 3) let go of the ptt button to take the photo

try these:

• for beta rabbit
    • "beta rabbit, can you suggest three books similar to ‘the power of now’, include page length, year of release, and ratings, and save that as a note titled ‘reading list’. also include pictures of the authors” > “beta rabbit, can you also get me summaries for those three books?”
    • “beta rabbit, if an apartment costs $4,000 per month to rent and is 1,800 square feet, what is the cost per square foot, and how does that compare to the average cost per square foot for renters in California and Los Angeles?”
    • “beta rabbit, who are the band members of the band ‘The 1975’ and can you show me images of each member?”
    • “beta rabbit, can you give me a two-day itinerary for San Francisco? I want to go to one historical site, a museum, eat Japanese food and try a cocktail bar. Can you also give me photos of each location?”
    • “beta rabbit, can you find me the best deals for the Dyson V8 vacuum? I want to get the cheapest price and the purchase links.”

- for magic camera freestyle

• “take a picture and dress us like we’re in the TV show ‘house of the dragon’.”
  • “take a picture of this, but make it super neon and cyberpunk.”
  • “take a picture of this and turn it into a pencil sketch.”
  • “take a photo of this and make it 3D geometric shape art.”
  • “take a selfie and make me into a superhero.”
  • “take a picture and turn us into anime characters.”

11th July 2024:

Summary

here’s the latest software update for r1, including updates in the cloud and an over-the-air (OTA) software update that will automatically be downloaded and installed onto your device. :listeningrabbit:

• new beta feature: r1 is growing smarter with “beta rabbit” mode

• say “beta rabbit” to activate and then ask your question.
    • beta rabbit can give more thoughtful responses to complex questions that require multiple steps of research and deeper reasoning. similar to a conversation with a person, r1 will ask you for clarification or additional information if needed to answer your question.
    • if you want to ask beta rabbit a follow-up question, remember to call its name again.
    • you can find all your beta rabbit answers in rabbithole.
  • factory reset is available on r1

• it allows users to erase all information and settings on their device

try these: :idlerabbit:

• “beta rabbit, If I apply the traffic rules on the autobahn in Germany to the highways in Los Angeles, will that cause more traffic and car crashes?”
  • “beta rabbit, I want to get a Herman Miller Aeron Chair. can you compare the price from Amazon, Ebay, Herman Miller website, any other sites and get me the best deal?”
  • “beta rabbit, I would like to make a delicious vegan meal tonight. I like Indian food, Japanese food, and Korean food, and I have carrots, spinach, potatoes, onions, rice and a variety of spices available. Can you give me some suggestions and recipes?”
  • *“beta rabbit, I want to buy some new clothes, where should I start?” *
  • “beta rabbit, I’m almost finished reading the book “recursion” by Blake Crouch. can you recommend some books similar to it? include page length, a brief summary, year of release, and rating”
  • “beta rabbit, I want to learn how to make beats and produce music. I love house music and have a Mac. what are some courses and programs you recommend to get started?”

r1 just learned this trick, so please be patient with the current version as we continue to improve it!

2nd July 2024

Summary

this week’s software update for r1 is here! this includes both over-the-air (OTA) and cloud updates that will automatically be downloaded and installed onto your device.

• you can now use Suno to generate full songs on r1
    • go to connections page in rabbithole to sign in or create a Suno account (we recommend using an existing account or registering through your Google account)
    • give your prompt and two song options will generate, then automatically start playing on your r1
    • you can view your generated songs on rabbithole, and you can also view your song library and download the songs from the Suno website
  • DoorDash now shows you more restaurant and menu options
  • voice control now works for more settings
    • turn on/off cellular, roaming, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • long-form text answers are now indented and bulleted to improve readability
  • you can toggle 24 hr clock in settings/time submenu

try these: :musicrabbit:

• “generate a song about x” / “use suno to write a song about y”
  • “generate a west coast-style hip hop song about rabbits flying through outer space”
  • “generate a lo-fi beat to study to”
  • “generate a country song about school sweethearts reuniting in a metropolitan city and falling in love again”
  • “generate a 90s pop song about two dogs called Monty and Pongo”
  • “turn on data roaming”
    r1 tells you “you have enabled data roaming”

20th June 2024:

Summary

the weekly software update for r1 is here! this over-the-air (OTA) update will automatically be downloaded and installed on your device. :otarabbit:

• we are opening up access to rabbithole on your r1 with memory recall, allowing you to ask r1 about the following past rabbithole interactions and journal entries:

• voice memo
    • meeting summaries and details
    • internet search
    • vision (image descriptions)
    • Wolfram|Alpha knowledge
  • you can now connect to WiFi networks that need access to a browser interface to login, such as company, hotel, or other free portals

• shake to settings menu sensitivity has been improved with better orientation and jitter detection

• magic camera entries now also display the original photo in the rabbithole, and you can download both the original photo and the magic camera version

• improved manual time zone settings in menu

try these:

• trigger memory recall

• “search my journal for the last restaurant I asked about on Yelp”
    • “recall from my journal what was on my grocery list last week”
    • “remind me what we discussed in our meeting on Monday”
    • “search my recordings from last week for
”
  • trigger memory recall with follow-up prompts

• “what’s my current location?” > “save that location as my most recent parking spot” > “search my journal for my most recent parking spot”
    • “save a note that my shopping list is eggs, milk and bread” > “what was on my most recent shopping list aside from eggs?”

13th June 2024:

Summary

here are the latest software updates for r1. since this is a cloud update, they’re already ready for you to use. enjoy, and let us know your feedback!

• specifically ask Wolfram or Perplexity to answer your questions
  • Yelp searches now saved in rabbithole
  • improved responses for owner specific requests
  • control music with voice commands (stop/start/skip)

try these: :musicrabbit:

• ask Wolfram Alpha or Perplexity

-“ask Wolfram Alpha how many calories are in a pint of orange juice?”
-“check Perplexity for the latest Major League Baseball standings”
-“ask Perplexity, what’s the number one song on the Billboard Hot 100?”

• tell r1 “my name is John” and it will call you by your name

• say “today is my birthday” and r1 will reply with “Happy birthday, John!”

• ask r1 to “Search Yelp for
” and the rabbit saves search results to rabbithole

• click “search again on Yelp” in rabbithole for more information on Yelp

• press to talk to control music experience

• “stop the music”
    • “restart/resume the music”
    • “skip this song”
    • “go to the next song”

6th June 2024:

Summary

here’s the latest over-the-air (OTA) software update for r1, which will automatically be downloaded and installed on your device :raised_hands:

let us know your thoughts on all these new features, UI updates and improvements :pray:

• control volume by holding down PTT button and scrolling from the home screen (not only in settings)
  • use your voice to initiate rabbit settings interactions (ie: adjust brightness and volume, change time zones, and access settings page & submenus)
  • main screen now shows signal strength/connection status notification
  • new UI card displays a list of Yelp search results

what we fixed thanks to rabbit community support

• improved scroll wheel sensitivity
  • enabled stereo sound with Bluetooth earbuds
  • extended the “shake to exit” feature to all settings submenus

try these:

• at home screen or when a song is playing, hold ptt button and scroll to change volume
  • press and talk to control settings
    “change the time zone to Central Time”
    *“open settings” *or “open wifi settings”
    “turn terminal mode on”
    “turn the volume to 50%” or “decrease the volume a bit”
    “shut down the device” to open the power menu

Yelp

• say “search Yelp for
” to display a list of your results in the new card UI

30th May 2024:

Summary

we’re happy to announce the latest cloud-based software update for r1. :raised_hands:

for those of you who are counting, this is our 6th software update in just over a month. and this time we’ve added some fun new features for you to check out!

what’s new?

music updates :musical_score:

Apple Music now available as an option for connected service in rabbithole (choose between Apple Music or Spotify) :green_apple:
Spotify and Apple Music can play playlists and albums (not just songs) :musical_note:

r1 device/rabbit OS

our new feature magic camera lets you quickly generate pixelated/retro style AI images in rabbithole :magic_wand:
clearer notifications in rabbithole if login credentials for Spotify, Uber, DoorDash or Midjourney have expired

how to use these new features with r1: :brain:

try “play ‘this is Taylor Swift playlist’ on spotify” or “play ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ on apple music”
scroll up to see the full tracklist for the playlist/album; scroll down to skip to the next song (you know the trick)
long press and hold the ptt button to return to the main screen
while in the main screen, scroll the wheel and press the button to enter the music player again to pause or change songs
push the ptt button 5 times to close the music player

using magic camera:
click ptt button twice to enter vision mode
short click to take a photo with AI camera
after 20-30 seconds, check rabbithole to see your magic photo and share it with #rabbitmagic!

the AI-generated images from magic camera may not accurately represent the specific details (gender, race, and other defining characteristics) of any real-life entities or situations and are intended for illustrative purposes only.

enjoy, and please keep sharing your thoughts and feedback on r1!

23rd May 2024:

Summary

we’re happy to share the latest software update for r1. this is an over-the-air (OTA) update which will automatically be downloaded and installed to your device.

since customers first picked up their r1 devices exactly one month ago in NYC, we have released multiple OTA’s and cloud-based updates, bringing dozens of fixes and improvements to r1 and rabbithole, including things highly requested by you, our community. r1 gets better every single week, and your thoughts and feedback play a huge role in that.

what’s new for the latest rabbit r1 release?

r1 device/rabbit OS

• voice search now shows relevant images when it’s helpful
  • you can now specifically search for images
  • r1 now has “list view” and long text view with a dedicated ui
  • vision ui has been redesigned, with a photo taken of the frame being analyzed
  • you can now take pictures on r1 with a single click of the ptt button
  • future OTA releases will now have a clearer ui when updates are in progress

what did we fix thanks to rabbit community support?

• improved wifi interface
    • wifi connection with WEP encryption enabled
    • more robust connection with intermittent hotspot/router service
  • rendering other languages alphabet fixes
  • improved bluetooth connection

try these prompts with r1 to see the new UI in action:

• search with image and text:

• “who is taylor swift?”
    • “what is the summer solstice?”
    • “search for examples of impressionism”
  • image search:

• “get me images of monarch butterflies”
  • long form text response:

• “give me a low-carb recipe for banana pancakes”
    • “can you make me a 3-day upper-body workout plan”

different prompts will trigger different AI models so a picture is not guaranteed all the time; r1 makes the final call

We always want to hear from you. Please keep sharing your use cases and feedback! :saluting_face:

17th May 2024:

Summary

here’s the latest software update for r1. this is a cloud-based update, so you’ll automatically benefit from these improvements without needing to update your device.

we’ll also share more details about the Wolfram integration next week, stay tuned.

what’s new for the latest rabbit r1 release?

rabbit OS

• GPT-4o now powers translator to support 100 languages
  • Wolfram Alpha is now integrated to accurately answer queries related to math, science, technology, society, and culture
  • upgraded Perplexity model for more accurate and informative answers
  • translator more accurately determines source and target language and improves accuracy of translations
  • longer meetings supported and more accurate summaries generated with meeting recorder
  • improved location accuracy when using Uber
  • improved speech recognition
  • improved rabbit assistant responses

LAM

• yelp now supported starting with simple voice-based searches
  • “Search Yelp for 
” will ask rabbit to go on yelp and search for you

rabbithole :hole:

• full transcripts of voice recordings can now be downloaded
  • search and conversation history now logged in rabbithole
  • Midjourney images now logged and can be downloaded through journal
  • keyword search now supported in journal entries
  • minor UI changes

what did we fix thanks to user feedback? :heart:

• improved intention classification with voice recording
  • voice notes can now summarize previous conversations
  • r1 auto-refreshes to connect to newly connected apps in rabbithole

9th May 2024:

Summary

r1 device/rabbit OS:

• improved answers to weather-related questions
  • improved QR code scanning accuracy for device setup
  • more accurate geolocation when GPS signal is weak
  • added more characters to keyboard
  • improved keyboard sensitivity
  • minor display fixes to the clock and battery
  • improved music playback over Bluetooth
  • improved context awareness for voice notes

LAM:

• improved Uber experience with additional driver information and more frequent status updates
  • minor bug fixes in Spotify
  • improvements and bug fixes in DoorDash

community fixes:

• shake to return home from the main settings screen
  • improved connections to phone hotspots and various mesh WiFi routers
  • terminal mode fixes / improvements
  • rabbithole journal bug fixes
  • improved visual feedback on login expiration for LAM features

2nd May 2024:

Summary

what’s included:
improved bi-directional translation and bug fixes :earth_americas:
improved GPS location services with enhanced AGPS :world_map:
improved weather/time related experience :sun_with_face:
further reduced LLM hallucinations :brain:

30th April 2024:

Summary

here’s our first software update for r1.
we’re always open to your feedback about what to improve and which new features you find useful.

going forward, we’ll constantly push two types of software updates:

1. over-the-air (OTA) updates:
this type of software update is pushed directly to your device, and you will need to follow the prompts on your device to update it. this will not cause you to lose any information on your device, similar to how you receive updates on your smartphone.

2. cloud update:
these are improvements to rabbit OS that happen in the cloud, which means our engineering team makes these updates as they are ready. you do not need to do anything with your device to benefit from these updates.

what’s new for r1 / rabbit OS?
-idle battery performance improved by up to 5x
-added time zone selection to r1’s settings menu / r1 correct time zone based on GPS location
-improved music playback UI on r1
-improved detection of server connections and release linked resources
-improved reliability for Bluetooth connectivity
-improved stability on meeting assistant / recorder for longer durations
-rabbit OS made more aware of when to use GPS to query your location and how to leverage that information
-improved the accuracy regarding time-related information during conversation

what’s new for rabbithole?
-improved loading UI
-improved error messages when your session expires
-improved QR code readability
-more informative TTS error messages from spreadsheet queries

community fixes
-fixed minor errors in DoorDash and Uber content display
-added missing characters to the keyboard
-fixed compatibility issues when the device is plugged into a vehicle

46 Likes

30th May - cloud update notes posted, please see top post for full notes!

8 Likes

was looking for something like this - that’s great!

3 Likes

6th June OTA notes added!

3 Likes

I just have to say, I am really impressed with the work done at Rabbit to update the R1. I am sure the fine tuning and feature development will continue. Thanks.

11 Likes

It’s wild how many enhancements / updates are a direct result of the community. Really shows how much the team is paying attention, vs just setting up a discord for the image of having a community. Bravo.

10 Likes

so many improvements based on feedback! Must be a scam /s

Thank you for everything you guys do.

9 Likes

Is the new UI card refererring to newly manufacftured ie. Hardware revision? Will all R1’s have the new yelp UI card?

4 Likes

Yes all will have it, not to worry

7 Likes

Today’s release notes (13th June) are live at the top of the page!

2 Likes

It calls me by my name for about 3 prompts. Then when I ask it my name it calls me “user” again. Gave up on trying to personalize that.

1 Like

today’s OTA notes added!

3 Likes

Not sure if the r1 would be able to tell us about the most recent OTA’s, but every time I try to ask it about the updates or mention terminal mode it navigates to the settings. Seems like the rules on asking for settings are a bit too open right now.

Specifically I was trying variations of the prompt “Does memory v0 in the latest OTA work in terminal mode?” I’ve tried similar prompts for the previous OTAs and ended up with the same result.

@simon Any reason why recall doesn’t currently work in terminal? I know its still early, I’d just love to use it at work without using voice lmao.

2 Likes

Not a single improvement on the entire purpose of this device, the LAM. Please don’t talk about the ability to look at your history as a LAM capability.

Hey - at least now I can connect it when I’m at a hotel!!!

1 Like

I really appreciate your development. I love my R1. It is getting better and better every update.

7 Likes

Any ideas what has happened to last week? Just seems quiet as theres been an update weekly, my device arrives and then no update. Im hoping it’s due to some fixes in the background taking longer, but as an excited newbie it would be cool to get a glimpse behind the curtain on whats next.

1 Like

Last week’s update merged to this week’s. Due to rabbit team will be off on July 4th.

5 Likes

So this week OTA+cloud update coming on Tue or Wed ?

4 Likes

Maybe Hump Day?
:camel::rofl:

1 Like

Finally I have the answer :wink: Screenshot done from GMT+1. So it’s coming in less then 17h from now

8 Likes