Loose screw inside of the R1

It was my second day of happiness with Rabbit. At some point, when I needed to go to settings and was shaking the device, I’ve heard a metalic rattling inside. That scared a hell out of me - I did not drop device, I did not put it in any tight pants and was carrying it around in original plastic case, generally treating it as if my life depends on it.
My first thoughts were that it is some part of mechanism, so I checked all the functions (camera rotation, push to talk response, connectivity) and couldn’t find any failure in those functions. I’ve checked online some video of dissembling and found out that next to camera there are 2 screws and I believe that the top one could went loose. I think so as this metallic rattling comming from top part of the device and not going anywhere else. I’ve used a flashlight to light through the plastic cover to see insides and it is definitely something small.
I believe that it should fall under warranty of the device, but I am located in a Czech Republic and sending it back (as well as recieving it) will be a hassle.

So I am tearing apart between few options:

1. Bring it to the closest handyman and ask the to carefully disassemble it, screw back the screw and glue the cover back.
  2. Stop caring about loose screw and keep on living.
  3. Actually make a warranty claim and wait for another few month for the process to be finished.

What are your thoughts on that?

1 Like

I would say option 2 is not ideal, since if it’s a screw, that could eventually short out something inside the r1, and would not be good

2 Likes

This morning my r1 also started rattling. Definitely sounds like something is lose inside, but all functions work fine.
I guess I’ll learn to live with it

1 Like

You’re not alone! I’ve been dealing with the same rattling sound when shaking my R1. It’s quite concerning, especially since shaking the device is necessary for its use.
video of rattling

I’ve reached out to tech support and am currently working with them. From your experience, do you know the likelihood of a positive outcome? My device still functions, but I can’t ignore the rattling.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @BigDawg - reaching out to support was the right call here. Please feel free to share what the outcome was once they have picked up and addressed your ticket.

1 Like

Same here. The rattling inside my R1 but doesn’t seem to affect any features, so that is good.

i reached out to support but was denied a repair or replacement since my R1 was purchased on the second hand market(new).

I may take mine apart to remove the piece that is floating around if i am feeling adventurous.

1 Like

Update on the situation after I went online and did a support claim and that same day I was contacted by rabbit support via email. They asked can I send them a video of me shaking the device so they can hear the rattling. That same day I sent the video clip I was contacted by support where they agreed to exchange my device. Below is the communication:

Hi German,

Thank you for getting back to me with the requested video! It was a big help in providing a visual aid to understand the rattling sound in your r1.

I’m pleased to inform you that we have approved a replacement for your device. To proceed, please follow the steps below:
1 Pack the item securely: Include the plastic case that came with your r1.
2 Use the original box: If the original box is unavailable, a similarly sized box will work.
3 Attach the return label: I’ve attached the return label below for your convenience.
4 Send the package back promptly: Please return the package to us as soon as you can.

Once we receive the return, we will process the replacement and have it sent out promptly. The r1 will be processed for shipment within 3 business days, and since you are in the United States, the estimated shipping time frame will be about 5 business days.

If you have any further questions or need assistance during this process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to help!

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead, German!

Best regards,
Britanny
rabbit support team

The email included a return label, I used, and I just receive tracking information my new device is on its way.

1 Like