Game Design for the r1 Superthread

*Game Design… one of my many passions. I’ve seen a good amount of conversations about games on the r1 and I would like to give my two cents.

Edit, as this thread has gotten quite long. I have been continuously posting my thoughts on game design here, and am in the process of going through my backlog design documents. If you are at all curious about design philosophy for games, give it a read. I will keep adding to this megadocument until I get bored of game design, or make my game.*

Setting Expectations:
Hey all, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking on game design for the r1, I wanted to make a post once the forum was live talking about the overall aspects of game design, specifically for the r1. Think about the greats in handheld gameplay… The year is 2004 and Nintendo releases a sleeping giant. The Nintendo DS, a best selling revolutionary handheld console. What made this device so successful? How were games designed for this device?

Put simply, the DS was unique. It had a gimmick. The double screen design and stylus allowed for extremely unique games while maintaining a familiarity to handhelds like the Game Boy. In opposition to “safe” handheld designs like the PSP, the DS offered an experience that was entirely unique, it had a strong individual identity.

I see the r1 in a similar light as the DS. It is entirely unique, no other device offers the same interaction and experiences you can have on it. It holds a lot of “gimmick factors” that make designs for the device unique and independent. The closest competitor (afaik) is the playdate, which still aims to do its own style of handheld play.

Put straightforward, we have an analogue scroll wheel, a button, voice commands, a camera, a phone chipset, and a touch screen. To properly design a game for the device, we must act with these features in mind.

Applicable Design
So we understand what we can design around, lets get into the “types of play” we can design. A while back I got gifted the Art of Game Design, a Book of Lenses written by Jesse Schell. In the opening section Jesse talks about the venues of play, and how the location of play effects the types of games we enjoy. The type of venue that stuck out to me most was the public venue. Most notably, the half private/half public venue is explored with “The Gaming Table”, “The Playground”, and “Anywhere”. These venues of play are perfectly suited for the r1 as a pocket companion to everyday life. Additionally the idea of private venues are explored with “The Hearth”, “The Workbench”, and “The Reading Nook”.

I could go on and on about the intricacies of game design and types of play, but to save myself from hours of rambling I will try to be concise.

The r1 is the perfect device to quickly interact with, and then stow away until later. This can be applied to our game design as well. I know we currently live in a time where every piece of media is constantly vying for the attention of the user. Time is money, attention is money, and people become a means to profit. I’ve been trying to design games in a way that respects the player, and wishes the same respect for the world. I want games to bring people experiences that are unique to them. I want to create a game that can show the user their world, in a time where media tries to pull the consumer away from their present moment.

The way I see it, the r1 is a perfect device for a low engagement, simple interface into a location based game. Using positive feedback gameplay loops we can encourage the user to explore their local region, much like PokemonGO.

It’s getting quite late here, so I’ll make a comment on this post with my personal vision on how to build a game for this thing. Truth be told I’m having fun talking about game design, even if the project is out of the scope or capabilities of the r1.

10 Likes

I’d love to be able to play a game of chess on the r1 with an another user of the r1, or would that just be a leap too far?

Anyway best of luck with your endeavour :listeningrabbit:

5 Likes

This is a great thread! Awesome to have some knowledgeable insights on the matter.

I know @jesse has expressed interest in us having some sort of game, so stuff like this is super helpful as we think about how to approach that.

5 Likes

Chess should be relatively easy to implement, for starters the chess board is square, so there should be no real issues with having to rework any displays.

If the r1 continues to avoid app style design, all it really needs to do is connect with an online chess service. The player should just be able to speak their moves into the r1 or use the touch screen. Backend would need to check if the move they made was legal.

p2p usage is still entirely on the webservice that the r1 is displaying. If it is made specifically with the intention of matchmaking r1 users together, then it should be more than possible.

3 Likes

I’ve been dying to talk about it with people :upside_down_face:

I know the most obvious projects are something like tamagatchi (virtual pet design is a deep well to get into) or simple minigames, but I’d like to see a game that people can continue to actively play for the lifetime of the device. I’d hate to see a built in minigame get forgotten or stop being used once it loses its initial interest.

3 Likes

Previously I mentioned how the r1 can capitalize on its unique design to build a location based game. Ideally, the location based side of gameplay is building users a well of resources to use in other, (mostly) non location based game aspects. To give a more concrete structure to this idea you are being subject to my wall of text on crafting/gather gameplay -.-

Why does Location matter?
Viewing the experience of playing a game, through the lenses of the venue, can offer us important insights into the pillars of design we should aim for. The difference between games played in a public and private venue can deeply influence how players are interacting with our game as a whole.

Gameplay is often aided by privacy. To take the risk of immersing yourself in a fantasy world, we like to be in a safe place, either alone or surrounded by people we know and trust. Naturally some of the most important play spaces are in the home.

~Jesse Schell on the private venue

Not all gameplay happens in the home, of course. The world is an exciting place, full [of] exciting people, places, and things to visit. The secret to location-based-entertainment (LBE) has been well known for thousands of years. Whether you are running a tavern, a theater, a restaurant, a brothel, a theme park, or a video arcade, the rule is the same: give them something they can’t get at home.

~Jesse Schell on the public venue

Other venues exist somewhere between the privacy of the home and the openness of a public venue, or they find a way to exist in both. The flexibility of these spaces that live on the boundary between public and private is what makes them interesting and important.

~Jesse Schell on half private/half public venues

Keep these concepts in mind as we move forward and attempt to design around the r1. This is especially important with the r1 because it is a “loud” device. The bright orange draws attention, to interact with the device you speak out loud, the nature of the device attracts attention. The home is a safe space to have deeper and longer interactions with the device and any gameplay we build on top of it. The public provides many sights a player cannot find at home, but the way a user interacts with the device in public should be “safe”. Playing a game should not make the player the center of attention in a room.\

I think that’s enough building up the general concepts around design, so I don’t lose your attention, lets get into the actual game concept.

The r1 ARG Companion

The What
Well before the r1 was announced, I had been theory crafting an infrastructure of different gameplay designs. In theory each small and simple gameplay loop would provide a resource for another gameplay loop. The player is naturally led between the “minigames”, falling into an overarching resource ecosystem. My long term hopes for this design was a companion app for an MMORPG. While players were away from their main interface of playing (PC probably), they could continue to make progress in the main game by interacting with a mobile spinoff. This allowed players to constantly make progress, at an extremely low commitment and time sink.

The hope was to create a type of funnel. As each player found their own niche and explored “life skills” in the MMO, they would develop their own needs for resources in the game. The mobile companion app was intended to ease the active grind of these systems, and allow players to idlily gain their desired resources. The companion app would stand alone as its own game, possibly even encouraging mobile only players to try out the MMO version.

Overall the systems I was designing were akin to incremental games and virtual pet games. They did not require active play, just the occasional check in or refresh. I knew the project would never be completed, but I enjoyed the designing process so I continued to design it. I’m just one man, there was zero chance I’d be making an MMO with enough complexity to make a project like this work.

Once the r1 was announced, a lot of my designing process shifted to how I could best leverage the features of the device, both AI side and hardware side. I dream big, and the potential projects something like teach mode could enable got me excited. Overall the project design stayed similar. I have a focus on high fantasy theming, MMO style life skills, and incremental style interaction. With confirmation on GPS features in the r1, I started considering how we can use location data to our advantage, as well as how this might effect each users individual experience/narrative. To keep myself from getting too much scope creep I dialed in the initial “skill” I wanted to focus on, settling on Alchemy as my primary mechanic.

Alchemy provides a beautiful base to narrow the features and optimize user interaction. It opens the door for two main gameplay loops, crafting and gathering. On the gathering side, we are mainly focusing organic material: flora, fauna, and minerals. Because the device has access to GPS data, theoretically we can cross reference the users location and use their local region, temperate zone, weather, time of day, etc., to influence what materials they gather. This type of context aware gathering also means if a user is searching for a specific material or type of material, they can reference their real world knowledge of the area to narrow down their search.

On the crafting side, each player develops their own localized set of materials that they can use for processing. The crafting side of things is heavily dependent on how flexible we can make gathering, so I have been intentionally putting it off until I have a good groundworks for gathering set in stone. For now I operate with the intention of adding basic potion making functions, where users can prepare ingredients, then add them into a cauldron. The player will have control over things like the heat, composition, and mixing of the potion; with each variable effecting the potions outcome in a different way.

The How
So we have a project outline, a set scope, and some strong design pillars to work around. How will this game function?

As I stated before, we aim to leverage the unique aspects of the r1. We also aim to create a game that does not require active play: stow and go. First and foremost, lets take a look at vision. Out the box, we can take a picture and generate a description of its contents. Magic camera has shown us we can “filter” an image. I’m not sure exactly how it works, but I figure vision is generating a description and sending it through a secondary “filter” prompt that reinterprets the image. If we are able to leverage this feature to our advantage, we should be able to filter an image to fit our needs.

In a perfect world, we can create “modes” for the r1. When the r1 enters a “mode”, it restricts what types of actions and interactions you can ask of it. For example, I would love to create a log mode, where vision entries get saved under a flora, fauna, or mineral category. In addition landscape shots save under a “cartography/location” category. This mode essentially applies a fixed filter prompt that encourages the summarization of vision entries to fit these categories. This might even be a function of a greater r1 ARG companion mode (I haven’t really decided on a name…). This mode based design is primarily to limit false queries. With a simple “shake to exit”, you return to the base r1 functionality.

If we are able to take an image, apply a filter, get a description, and categorize it; we have the perfect base to “itemize” objects from the real world and set them up with dynamic variables used in active gameplay. Simply accepting any image, any number of times without cooldown open the door to exploiting and we must find a way around this. Personally I believe cross referencing the players location with real world data is the best solution, as well as introducing a gather cooldown. Creating an area around the point of gather interaction, we can set a timer that applies when players try to gather within that area.

For “itemization”, generating variables based on the quality of object in the picture (again we are primarily focused on Alchemy right now, so healthy plants = quality items), hue, species, etc.; we can put the description through a “filter” prompt that gives it a high fantasy spin. The hardest part in all of this will be keeping a consistency that allows for the world to feel as if its one whole, connected experience.

If you have experimented around at all with roleplay on the r1, you will know that its narrative ability is pretty good. Having direct access to an LLM is a powerful tool in generating the narrative meat that needs to tie together gameplay mechanics, and I’m looking forward to trying my hand at making a cohesive world!

If you have made it this far, thank you for entertaining my insane ramblings. I look forward to trying to build this thing, but I am knowingly well out of my depth. If I am able to get the alchemy side of things working, I want to move on to fishing (location changes the types of fish you can catch, active reel gameplay with the scroll wheel…), cooking, pets, even magic casting and dungeon expeditions! The ARG concept is meant to give the player a secondary parallel reality they can seamlessly slip in and out of. ~Argo

2 Likes

In my previous posts, I have detailed the game design I strive to achieve on the r1. I’d like to mention my personal setup, which often influences my designs. I have a decent PC, Wacom Tablet, and Studio Lights. I have steadily moved towards a setup that mixes retro tech and modern tech. I have a mini CRT as a third monitor, and a raspberry pi I have wanted to start a project on.

When I was in high-school, I dreamed of developing an MMORPG. To me, MMOs always seemed like the most interesting games, they have complicated moving parts and each player gets to have a unique story. This is true of many multiplayer games, but none did it like MMOs.

Minecraft really popularized Sandbox as a genre. Sandbox games had existed before, but they were never quite as interesting as other genres. Minecraft was so open ended that it itched a different part of “experience”. It has a profound impact on my views of game design. Before it was bought by Microsoft, Minecraft was an indie dev passion. It came at a rough point of my life, and I played it more than any other game. I tend to get caught up in nostalgia when working on game design.

Primarily you look at games of the past to influence what you make. What games worked, how did they work? What choices did the story make to stay interesting? What parts did the players enjoy, what parts didn’t they? Where do you even begin, when you try to define fun?

GPS games carry the DNA of the sandbox and MMORPG genres, where you interact with a mirrored real and virtual world. People can explore the world around them with a secondary perspective in their pocket. The potential Pokemon GO carried was huge, yet I feel like the game fell short from a game designer perspective. The smartphone is also not exactly the best device for the job. Modern day apps are practically begging for the attention of the user, giving them targeted advertising, dopamine hits from notifications, predatory monetization, the list goes on.

My primary design somehow ended up in GPS games.

As I explored game design, I would be constantly fascinated with technology that was releasing. I got particularly interested in BCI once I started reading about its capabilities in the neuroscience field. AI seems like it could do wonders for the medical field, and revolutionize the entertainment industry. If attached to AR or VR, this triad of technology could mean the entire shift of game design.

Say hello to experience design.

Designing an entire “experience” is relatively different from game design, though it is founded in the same fundamentals. Our job as game designers is to give players an experience. Our job as experience designers is to build the rules of an experience. Innately you need to do this in game design, but in experience design you only do this.

And so I settled on Location Based Games (LBG). Why wait for the technology to catch up to my designs, when I can use current technology to improve the pillars of my design. I want to impact people in a positive way, like Minecraft did for me. I have an interest in photography, so I’d also like to share that passion with the public as well.

How can I combine these goals in a game design?

The first step in game design is to give ourselves a problem that we need to solve, and this is mine. Later on I will have to more definitively state what each goal is, but we have enough to set a canvas of creation. And we result on…

Alchemy

The first major gameplay loop I have been focusing my designs on has been alchemy. Overall it creates a perfect base to set up a scalable infrastructure behind the creation of dynamic entities. Each resource must consist of variables that provide a significant amount of information behind its unique makeup. A simple system like [name, ID, quantity] wouldn’t work as tracking resource quality is bound to be an important factor in many different crafting avenues. Simple quality stats provide a fixed amount of “plateaus” that each resource can find itself on, however this limits the end scalability of resource climbing and flattens the floor to ceiling relationship required to have a mechanically deep system. Further into this description I will go into the makeup of variables and the types of factors in consideration, but for now I am making a generalized description of the alchemy system to set standards and provide context.

Alchemy refers to the act of making potions. While that isn’t a complete capsulation of the general term alchemy, potions are one of the easiest ways to visually and metaphorically contextualize the depth of a craft based gameplay. The standard of potions can be applied – color indicates effect, size indicates quantity, etc. – a basic format for high fantasy. Where this system differs is the complex makeup of a potion. Take, for example, a potions potency. While the strength of a potion could be represented by the size of the bottle, this hard limits potions into tiers and prevents a dynamic expansion of the system as a whole. Instead we will represent potency as a mix of things. The first and primary can be saturation and clarity. A highly saturated potion is a potent potion. An opaque potion is a potent potion. If hue notates potion effect, then saturation and luminosity must be considered as well. Because we are defining a fictional object, we get to take liberties in the rules we create. Are potions mono-colored? How do two effects mix? Is color a law or a guideline? Are all potions considered stable? How accurate do players need to be to get effective results?

Pushing this idea further, how does processing of ingredients affect how they are used? Do players need to be mindful about the order they combine in? How does heat affect the concoctions? When should players mix their brews? How long do potions need to cook? Do potions have shelf life – by extension what affects shelf life? Is chopping the same as squishing? What ingredients can or can’t be increased in potency? Each of these factors should be able to change based on the inputs and actions taken to make a potion.

Alchemy without gameplay to back it up becomes a merchant gameplay loop. We would need artificial demand (we probably will anyways), driving an artificial economy. I would like to give alchemy a reasonable outlet that works its way into real gameplay as well. Because of the nature of the r1 as a mobile device, this will almost necessarily force us into one of two designs.

First, we could introduce potion “cooldowns”. I have never liked the idea of hard cooldowns, as there is no real narrative backing (except how much the user could reasonably drink). Instead I would much rather prefer giving potion negative drawbacks when consumed in quick succession. Since we have access to a LLM with the r1, generative RP narrative gameplay is possible. Giving potions side effects could have a greater impact on gameplay mechanics and work towards even more immersive gameplay.

Alternatively we could introduce a weight system. The user is able to set what objects they “travel” with, giving them a backpack type inventory. As the user delves more into magic and other potential gameplay aspects, we could allow for remote access to greater storages or larger carrying capacities. This type of design allows for some risk/reward to what items you pick up on outdoor adventure, although it may become burdensome if not balanced properly.

I told you there were going to be insane ramblings, but this kind of design is my passion project. To make a model of the fundamental mechanics at play I want to design a “board” game (the overall design might be a card game the more I have considered it…). The board game tries to model the basics of a randomized craft/gather loop, time management, an artificial demand, and player trading. ~Argo

r1 ARG companion

I have been referring to the greater project that "Alchemy" fits into as the [r1 ARG companion]. Title not decided, but its essentially a personal high fantasy adventure.

The [r1 ARG companion] does not end at craft/gather gameplay loops. I would also love to include general “exploration” gameplay. Users should be able to interface with their r1 to learn more about their surroundings, potential activities, and nearby resources. As stated in the past, I want to fully utilize location data as much as possible. I would like to look at the user’s current weather conditions, temperature, biome, elevation, time of day, season of the year, etc. to influence what objects and events they can find around them.

Users should want to explore the world, both virtual and real, to gain insight and knowledge into the space around them. As the user gains more knowledge, the extent of gameplay loops they can explore and the knowledge locations of harvestable resources will expand. Included with this, I would love to spin some real world points of interest into “virtual” locations that offer the player narrative gameplay elements when prompted. Overall I would like the exploration aspects of the ARG game to fall more into narrative/RP gameplay. Exploration is both a means to gain resources, and learn about the world. As players become context aware, including puzzles that can be solved with craftable items, spells, etc. would be an interesting way to have multiplayer elements affect the world around the players. This could even include altering the types of resources players can harvest when certain events are active, encouraging players who need different types of resources to solve the “world event”.

Of course gameplay elements like this would require some sort of questing system, to lead players from narrative interaction. Not every encounter has to be completely spelled out for the player, but general guidance should be offered so the interactions do not become a hassle.

Setting Goals

One of the foundational “pillars” I have been designing revolves around the players desire to play. As the player explores more options of “play” and learns more about the digital world that surrounds them, they may start building their own ideas on how to influence their personal narrative. Some players may find joy in exploring Alchemy, Fishing, Mining, Exploration, Magic, etc. Each of these interests will influence what locations and sights the player wants to visit.

A point of difficulty in this design is creating mechanics that are loose enough to make players feel like they have control over their personal narrative. They may have goals in mind that the game will not allow for. Our job as designers is to ease this point of conflict and offer the player a reason they can not take the actions they desire. We should also keep in mind the players’ desires are in fact strong points of interest, and we can continue to design mechanics around letting individual players meet these desires.

A beautiful thing happens as the player learns more and more about their digital landscape. As they cannot interface with the gameplay mechanics of a certain location without being there, the player gains knowledge when they are out playing. Upon returning to the hearth, and putting their knowledge to practical use, they may find reason to return. Their overall goals may change. They may find new ways to achieve goals already in place. The player may even explore with the intention of finding something that brings them closer to their goal.

As far as initial implementation goes, players should find themselves in situations where using a potion would result in positive effects. This will push players in a direction that leads them to explore more potion crafting ideas, learn recipes, and start identifying what ingredients result in what effects. As players get deeper into the gameplay mechanics, they may start to discover how the different brewing methods, harvesting times, real world variables, and shelf lives affect each process. The pursuit of knowledge and understanding of the craft will be the difference between somebody interested in potion crafting and an artisan crafter, mastering their field.

These last two entries have been writeups from a separate design doc. Just wanted to find a place to work them in for public view. ~Argo

I did a little more digging, and found some notion pages from the super early development ideas. When the r1 was announced, I had already been working on game design, but it entirely shifted what I though possible. I had already considered GPS game design, but now the device I could build it on had the perfect functionality for the job. These docs go off the deep end, but many ideas have been discussed. I have hours of monologues as I ramble about game design while at work. A lot of times I reference old systems and mechanics behind some of my design. I also did each write up in sections, while listening to albums. Link to the album is at the bottom of this document.

Nautilus Systems

“Think Tank”

While working on the cyberdeck idea, I would like to start a series where I document my ideas and development/design process of the project. Initially I would like to start drafting the overall design and theming of the main project.

A few of the big goals and ideas I had in mind when starting the design process revolved around building an ecosystem of contained, complex gameplay loops that create a product material. Of these, an early module design I wanted to create was a virtual pet simulator, an aquarium, that can take in resources (burn) and output modified resources or drive another system. I have also done light design on an alchemy system, and I would like to make a functional version with some of the key design philosophy in tact.

Finally I want to create a version of “cyberspace” that I am content with. Not just the net, but a gamified version of the connections and interactions that make up the landscape of the net. In doing so, it leads itself to benefit from certain GPS aspects and a location based game could be pretty interesting, but creating the infrastructure seems more than a lot of work.

Writing here as we are close to the R1 date, I didn’t think to share any of these designs and have been trying to fully form them out, however I am not great at typing and do most of my critical thinking and conceptualization during my workday.

This document was set up to theory craft and everchanging design, one influenced by my current train of thought and real world experience. I am unsure what pages are public, if you find something interesting, let me know!

We have been pushing forward with the GPS game idea as a drip source into a much larger, much more unreasonable goal. A truly fun GPS game makes your daily schedule — gamified, something much healthier than usual game addiction. I can be encouraged to do real world things, activities, etc. all whilst gaining value in my grand design. This encourages me to engage in these habits more. A healthy, positive feedback loop. I still play game, I still live life, I just do a little of both at once.

R1 changed my vision. Instead of thinking of the original cyberdeck as a device to play, the cyberdeck acts as a server of sorts. You host the theme, genre, story, on a webserver. In real life people can connect and “play” your vision. A properly open-sourced, easy entry tool is ideal, but most people wont play on the creative side anyways (probably).

R1 is being used for vision identification. Even better if we can get some smart glasses connection. Take a picture of your surroundings, an object… anything, and rabbit will generate a lore accurate description and variation of the object. Craft and gather in real life — hiking trails, seasons, local region, real world travel — all factors of life affect what you can do, gain, and see. Much later in iteration a custom, cohesive art style and set of items, theming, and gameplay mechanics can come together in a masterful assembly of modern game design. A full scale game, using real people and real world interaction as a drip of resource.

The healthier we can guide humans in daily life, the healthier we can make the world. -Argo.

We could even make a traditional op isekai identify tool, look as something and ask for an identification and you will see (within reason, remember power creep) tags, status, and descriptions of items. This tool could fit traditional “skill” theming, but it is also an incredible real world help tool to identify objects for people who need/function better with “real world ui”.

Remember, this concept transcends rabbit. If this tech exists than it should be possible to exist in the future, separate of a company. No shade on rabbit, the team is awesome; however, I have been working on this idea for ages. I enjoy designing and its never for a specific tech. I genuinely just find enjoyment in thought experiments I deem as “able to happen”. That is to say, some wandering soul may one day find an idea I have had — a spark of inspiration cross their face as they see potential.

An important pillar of this concept has always been the “tagging” system. Descriptors of items need to be generated as items are pulled in an out of existence. Our job is to guide the player in a way they will respond well to. To guide the player towards an goal that keeps them mentally and physically engaged in a healthy way. With wearable tech we can monitor body conditions and ensure we are not overworking the user, as well as find ways to remind them when falling behind schedule. Tags both must adapt to the users current interest, lifestyle, and individual gameplay story.

Consider the yarn-ball example. Tangential planes of “reality” are constantly interweaving. We must find a reasonable, integrated way to make players cross paths (if not physically, then with some effect they have left behind on the story) in meaningful ways. Each player follows their own portion of the “loop”, before it is tangled. Only able to decide, after it is created.

This sounds like the ramblings of a madman, I’ll keep this short. Many ideas have been expressed here — many more in private. Some statements only make sense if you understand my internal philosophy, the way I see the world, and what drives my design intentions. I have voice logs that I expect to process at some point, I can’t quite keep track of every idea nowadays. R1 is also an exciting prospect in this, auto transcripts to find key words and concepts would be a huge tool in mapping out this idea to a functional build schedule. The intention and design of this process is the most important, given technology keeps improving. If now is early improvement, then we are but a drop in a pool… a breaking dam lingering thousands of feet above. -Argo

The GPS game is not an end-goal, it is a funnel. A way to collect people who have interest. Who show potential as mainline movers. Remember the destiny model, a abstraction of gravity bound to the concept of a moment — suspended in space — suspended in time. Freely we may move between these moments. The moments are interpolated, there is not a single one that is real, they are concept. We stand at the foot of a node. The main node. The black-box.

I went into an abstract description here, this is how I envision generative ai “seeing”, guided under a general goal. It could descramble noise into anything, yet it does so with reason. In my design it is fantasy. It could also be applied to other designs, cyberpunk, sci-fi, and survival variations — servers of a different theme. The AI is guided towards an optimal future, one where the story makes sense for everyone. One that has a profound impact of every soul involved. One of beauty. We are providing the keys to creation, putting ourselves in the place of blind arrogance as world rending impact is made. Treat art with respect, and let art be created by all.

Some may devote their life to a laughable trade. Years after their inevitable demise they are still mocked, still told their life’s work was a waste. Hundreds of years may pass before that arts meaning — its impact — will be discovered. The artist can… and will… have an impact.

That artist will not necessarily be human — or rather — what we define human as in this moment.

Food for thought. -Argo

Can we automate tagging objects? Probably.

Can we cross reference lore in an efficient and accurate way? Probably + constant efficiency drain.

Can we create an accurate enough abstraction of the real world that locations in real world events and ARG events can coincide (i.e. different biomes and seasons, temperature, weather, air quality, distance to natural resources, etc.). Can these reflections of world-linking metadata offer us ways to increase the complexity of tags? Can these new tags be used to gauge user interest? Can these tags set up multiple “action lines” peer to peer, to create varying story lines one could follow? At what level of importance do we apply the “actor” tag? What factors play into a user being deemed as “changing”? How much destine gravity should any number of “changing” users hold? How should the story lines of a “tangential plane” be decided? How much acceptable variance in a users normal day to day schedule should we be able to influence? What constitutes a health lifestyle based an each, individual user?

Do not forget, we must always value the users real world health over all else. A healthy and happy user, is a user free to explore in whatever way they would like. The user writes a story they would like to hear.

Album just ended so I am going to leave this one off here. -Argo

And that’s one of my notion pages.

Welcome to the ramblings of a mad man.

If this document did anything to inspire a creative idea you have, please chase after it. Create the world you want to see, if its game design then so be it. If you are particularly fond of drawing, or painting, keep at it! Seeing the things people make is one of the greatest joys in life. ~Argo

1 Like

Narrative GPS Gameplay

I’m finally back from vacation and I had lots of time to continue building the location based game design for the r1. I am pulling a lot of design philosophy from MUD games, as I want a big focus to be on narrative gameplay and meaningful character building. I am also trying to leverage the unique aspects of the r1’s hardware design choices, and AI integration as much as possible.

If you have experimented around at all with roleplay on the r1, you will know that its narrative ability is pretty good. Having direct access to an LLM is a powerful tool in generating the narrative meat that needs to tie together gameplay mechanics, and I’m looking forward to trying my hand at making a cohesive world!

//Argo, The r1 ARG companion

Multi User Dungeons

MUD games, short for Multi-User Dungeon games, are text-based multiplayer online games where players interact with each other and the game world through text commands. In MUDs, players navigate virtual environments, solve puzzles, engage in combat, and interact with non-player characters (NPCs) entirely through text descriptions.

Players communicate with the game by typing commands such as “go north,” “attack dragon,” or “talk to NPC.” These commands trigger actions within the game world, allowing players to explore, fight, trade, and engage in various activities. The text-based nature of MUDs encourages players to use their imagination to visualize the game world based on the descriptions provided.

One of the defining features of MUD games is the emphasis on player-driven narrative and roleplaying. Players have the freedom to create their own characters, develop unique personalities, and interact with others in a collaborative storytelling environment. Through roleplaying, players can immerse themselves in the game world, engage in social interactions, and contribute to the ongoing narrative of the game.

Players in MUDs often form communities, guilds, and alliances, working together to achieve common goals or engage in player-versus-player conflicts. The collaborative nature of MUDs fosters creativity, social interaction, and the development of complex storylines that evolve based on the actions and decisions of the players.

Overall, MUD games provide a rich and immersive experience where players can engage in interactive storytelling, roleplay with others, and contribute to a dynamic and evolving virtual world through text-based interactions.

//r1 summarizing MUD games

I see a lot of value in understanding how interactions work in MUDs. Given the design pillars I have set up so far, MUDs encompass a lot of aspects I want to achieve. They are nostalgia filled, as they were extremely early multiplayer games. With primarily text based interaction, they build the perfect foundation for strong narrative gameplay. GPS integration brings an innovative and unique aspect to both genres of game, providing users with one stop location for the types of experiences I want to create.

Because the r1 uses voice commands and text based responses for its primarily interaction, I feel it is within the best interests of the device to create games that focus on this type of interface. This does not mean abandoning all graphic interfaces. As I have stated in the past I believe using vision to capture images for the gather gameplay loop is something the device makes fully possible. Using features like magic camera the create graphics you can view when accessing an inventory or item log is something I would still like to put into effect. For any “world” or “narrative” interactions, I believe it is in the best interest of the gameplay experience to limit graphics to ascii.

Each user should be able to visualize their own story and narrative based on the descriptions we provide. This means we must accurately use GPS data and map APIs to create an immersive world – one that the systems of the game can reference as needed. Interactions a user has that effect a location in their personal narrative should effect that location on a multiplayer scale. The world is persistent, though that does not necessarily mean each user has the same exact experience.

Due to the persistent nature of players actions (generally actions of a large scale), each player must be driven to write a compelling character, take actions that fit into the world building, and drive the narrative of the world in an interesting way. We should not force any specific character types on the player yet should design the game in such a way that players have an interest in the character they write, the actions they take, and how they affect the world around them.

While each action needs limitations, players who go above and beyond describing their actions should be rewarded for immersing themselves in the experience. Greater descriptions should have more influence over the outcome a players actions may cause, as well as allow for a better understanding of the players intentions. This also means as more actions are developed, each needs its own set of hard limitations. If we let generative AI run free, a lot of the consistency we attempt to create will begin to unravel. Avoiding inconsistent results in the actions a player takes in active (non narrative building) gameplay is vital.

Location Based Design for MUD style gameplay

Deciding on which aspects of each genre to focus on will help keep the scope of the project, as well as any future additions to the project consistent. We know the focus is on location based narrative gameplay and high fantasy roleplay, any additional gameplay mechanics or gameplay loops should reinforce this idea.

In its most obvious form, location based gameplay will influence the virtual location a player can interact with, based on their real world location. We will use this to limit and track the resources that players can acquire, using a locations real world scarcity to run a virtual fantasy economy. On top of this, we can provide chatrooms users can connect with, enabling them to chat within a set area around them (spanning a few miles - tens of miles, we need to respect player privacy). With the ability to set GPS context aware areas, we can set areas to access social hubs, marketplaces, and limited/special events.

I would also like to restate how important it is to ensure that we are not overusing the location based aspects. It should not be a chore or annoyance to interface with and play a location based game. With location specific networks like marketplaces a good practice may be to have one market per city/region, then scatter multiple access points to that marketplace. Accommodating players across an entire area or region instead of forcing players to visit a location they generally wouldn’t will benefit the growth and accessibility of the game.

Ending this one here, over the next few weeks I am going to be taking a deep dive into some of the available MUDs. I have a pretty good grasp on how they work, and the types of designs they generally fall into; however, I would love to get some more experience with the types of players and extent of the multiplayer interactions! As this design continues to mature I am putting lots of thought into how it will all string together. I am looking forward to webhook integration and teach mode so I can start working on the framework.

//Argo

2 Likes

Virtual Pet Games write up.

1 Like

Don’t stick too much to the Pokémon GO concept. It was a cool, trendy quest, but before investing time and money in any idea (even a good one), check important numbers. What’s trendy? What could be trendy? It’s difficult, I know.

Look at R1. It seems like it’s from the 80s, and look at all those nerdy people playing Among Us, watching Stranger Things, reading (and probably watching) Stephen King, and collecting retro-style hardware. Think about these people and their “journeys.” Who knows, maybe R1 could be a window to a parallel shadow world where you should move like in an escape room or the Mid-World from The Dark Tower.

I think before starting any game development, there should be a robust bridge from game engines like UNITY or others. This way, anyone could try and discover possibilities.

Please upvote my thread about plugins for Unity.

Realizing I never responded, been busy at work.

Its not about being trendy for me and never has been. I don’t believe games should need to fall on the backs of massive playerbases to be worthwhile experiences. With a pokemonGO/gps game design, I can create small local stories for real people to interact with. Each person gets to co-write their experience and the story of people around them. A large focus on narrative gameplay like MUD’s have is how I want to achieve this. Points of interest instead can be treated like a geocache. If a location matters for one players story, other players should naturally find themselves there as well. Player interest will largely depend on if they find the worldbuilding interesting enough or not. A strong theme and setting can help keep players interest, yet doesn’t need to exploit them for all their worth.

This is moreso a jab at current monetization in studios, and the success of shortform content. I talk more in another thread about my disdain for these systems and media.
//Argo

Plugins for existing engines is great, but the r1 is a new device, not meant to be interacted with in the same way a phone or traditional handheld is. I strongly believe it should see games designed around its limitations and for its hardware. It has a focus on human interactions that encourage the user to learn more and achieve the goals set out for themselves.

This seems to be partially due to AI compliance, but I believe that’s a good thing.

In its current form, I think the best “games” for the r1 won’t follow traditional mobile/handheld game design.

It’s not a phone and that’s why it should be ad-hoc plugin for different engines which considers this particular experience with rabbit. The development for indies will much easier and will open a large playground for experimentation

Scroll wheel to scroll through all your pieces, then theough available moves for that piece?

1 Like

I feel like it would end up being a lot of menuing for one game of chess, but there aren’t a ton of other options. Preplanning moves is also quite a hassle if you have to scroll through every piece.

Spoken moves still feels like the best bet, but if you’re in a situation where you can use ptt, scrolling through pieces and moves is one of the better solutions.

I do still believe the r1 should avoid using touch screen as much as it can, but the utility drawback for some projects might start to suffer if any workarounds end up being an annoyance.

I love that yes I think that would be fantastic I love to coin around personally the tamagotchi because what they are doing with their little devices is quite remarkable I mean tamagotchi (side rant I know but it’ll make sense) was always designed with low cost of entry to allow people to care for their “pets, monsters etc” but it wasn’t really the gameplay that hooked people I think it was the device calling out to you when it wanted and needed something right the sense of accomplishment and responsibility. Fast forward to today and now they offer marriages and the ability to compete with other players around the world whilst still maintaining a relatively lower budget device… the R1 whislt not the most expensive has great potential to fill a space that Ai simply hasn’t yet and that’s making Ai FUN and I don’t know what it would look like or how it would be done But if Tamagotchi Has this ability to use WiFi and connect people I truly think the R1 could and I would just love to see the Infamous Rabbit on the R1 reflect more choice in its looks making it more unique to individual owners and I couldn’t agree more on something that unites and allows us to play together and interact with each other. I will continue to push this in hopes they at least tell me why they can’t or won’t but it’s my belief and hope they will find a way for us to really have some fun with the device. P.S offering more offline options so something like a silly game or some rpg game play would really help with owners in rural places who don’t have WiFi access all the time or data so though I do agree with everything and all plans to further advance this device i firmly believe this device would greatly benefit from more offline functionality from like discussed Vpet Features to a dedicated Music player (think 3Ds to Dsi ) that allows us the ability to use this device in no coverage zones and still have fun Please if anyone agrees or sees value in this let rabbit know so that they can see and better understand the potential R1 really has here at home in America and across the world. Sorry for long rant I love you brought it up and I support this thread alongside any thread willing to bring this up to the team over at rabbit